Re: not sure if this a relevant article for this group-might be of interest

Hi all, Hi Eero,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 08:35:42PM +0200, markus reichelt wrote:
> * rodger ellis <rellis@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.kernel/browse_thread/thread/b53dfc2c858687a0/4a5993178f83bb67
>
> It certainly is of interest to Max Vozeler, and all Debian users
> lurking; it definitely complicates things for Debian users.

This is not actually a fundamental problem with the Debian kernel,
or other kernels configured with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m.

| When trying to mount a device crypted with loop-aes I get this error:
| ioctl: LOOP_MULTI_KEY_SETUP_V3: Invalid argument

This error usually indicates that the wrong (as in: "not loop-AES")
loop module is loaded into the kernel.

 a) There is no loop-aes-modules-$KERNEL package installed for
    the running kernel, and the "normal" loop module gets auto-
    loaded. Make sure that you have such a package installed for
    your running kernel:

      $ dpkg -s loop-aes-modules-$(uname -r) | grep Status

 b) The loop-aes-modules-$KERNEL package was installed _after_
    the "normal" loop module was already loaded. In that case,
    reloading loop should get you the correct module:

      # rmmod loop; modprobe -v loop

    Note that you should need to do this only once. The packages
    are setup in such a way that the loop-AES module takes pre-
    cedence over the normal in-kernel loop module.

If that still doesn't work, we're looking at a as-of-yet unknown
problem, but likely one in the Debian loop-AES packages, and not in
the Debian kernel or loop-AES itself. I would appreciate if you
could file a bug against the package "loop-aes" in that case.

| The loop-aes documentation says that CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP must be set to "n",
| but in Debian Etch it is set to "m". Could this be changed to "n"?

This should not be necessary.

There is no fundamental incompatiblity between loop-AES and the
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m setting in Debian kernels.

Since the introduction of module-init-tools for 2.6, it is possible
for a module to "override" a kernel-shipped version of the same module,
by being installed in the /lib/modules/$KERNEL/updates directory; This
is what Debian loop-aes-modules-$KERNEL packages do for loop.ko

Having the normal loop module available can complicate module loading
in some corner cases, one of which you probably experienced (but let's
find out). Ruling out such problems is, I suppose, the reason for the
recommendation for CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n in the loop-AES documentation.

I'll make this more clear in README.Debian of the loop-AES packages
and add a postinst check for an already loaded loop module.

	Max

-