Re: Help booting a gpg encrypted loop-aes backed root partition

Hello everyone,

I have performed the tests Jari requested and here are the results:

The base case the started this whole thread:

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
[snip]

dietlibc version: 0.3 (from an ubuntu deb binary package)

loop-AES-3.2a

> [snip]
> 1) Can you try creating an initrd using different gcc version? You distro
>    probably has precompiled binary of some gcc-3 version. As in, install
>    that package and change "diet gcc" command at build-initrd.sh script line
>    635 to "diet gcc-3.3" or something like that. Then create new initrd and
>    boot it.

Using an ubuntu gcc-3.3 binary (.deb) package and creating an initrd
with it as per the instructions above works fine. gcc-3.3 version used:

gcc-3.3 (GCC) 3.3.6 (Ubuntu 1:3.3.6-15ubuntu1)

> 2) Can you recompile dietlibc from source, using default dietlibc config but
>    with WANT_SYSENTER option disabled? As in, apply the patch below, then
>    compile and install dietlibc normally. Then create new initrd and boot
>    it.

Recompiling dietlibc from source with WANT_SYSENTER disabled as per the
instructions above and using the gcc 4.1.2 to build the initrd image
results in a "no password/no error prompt" that started the thread.

> 3) Compile using gcc-3 and link with dietlibc that has WANT_SYSENTER option
>    disabled. (Both 1 and 2 at same time)

Using gcc-3.3 with dietlibc that has WANT_SYSENTER disabled results in
an initrd that works fine.

> 4) Can you try building an initrd on knoppix? If so, what version of knoppix
>    and what gcc version does it have?

Building and initrd from Knoppix (I had version 5.0.1) laying around
produced a working initrd image. Knoppix 5.0.1 used gcc:

gcc 4.04 (20060507) (prerelease)(Debian 4.0.3-3)

[snip]

Let me know if you require any additional information from me or wish me
to test anything else.

Regards,

Jivko

-