Re: Help booting a gpg encrypted loop-aes backed root partition

Jivko Sabev wrote:
> Passing the boot parameter console=tty (or console=tty1) as RB suggested
> does not help.

If console was redirected elsewhere, you would not be seeing these messages:

VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 192k free

So it is not console redirection issue.

> Setting
>
> USEPIVOT=0

pivot_root is used after encrypted root file system has been mounted. So
this is not a problem with pivot_root system call. Your encrypted-root-boot
doesn't get that far, yet.

> title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.22.1vanila Encrypted No Pivot
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.22.1vanila ro root=101 console=tty
> initrd          /initrd-crypt.gz
[snip]
> No filesystems can mount root tried ext2 ext3 minix
> Kernel panic - not syncing
> VFS: unable to mount rootfs on unknow-block(1,1)

Did you see a password prompt before kernel panic?

I quickly looked at kernel config that you sent me privately. I didn't see
anything wrong with it.

I also disassembled the /linuxrc program binary that was inside
initrd-crypt.gz that you sent me. It seems to be linked to some older
version of dietlibc. I looked at first few systems calls in main() function.
Looked mostly ok, except there was one unexplained line:

8048383:       65 8b 15 14 00 00 00    mov    %gs:0x14,%edx

which was put there by gcc compiler. Maybe there is some reasonable
explanation for why that is there, but I didn't immediately see it.

Can you test an initrd that I created for you? I used this config:

BOOTDEV=/dev/hda1
BOOTTYPE=ext2
CRYPTROOT=/dev/hda2
ROOTTYPE=ext3
CIPHERTYPE=AES128
INITRDONLY=1
DESTINATIONPREFIX=/tmp

All other config entries are defaults that are found in unmodified
loop-AES-v3.2a build-initrd.sh script. You can download it here:

http://koti.tnnet.fi/jari.ruusu/tmp/initrd.gz
http://koti.tnnet.fi/jari.ruusu/tmp/initrd.gz.sign

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-