Re: Help booting a gpg encrypted loop-aes backed root partition

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I have been experimenting with the various approaches with little success.

Passing the boot parameter console=tty (or console=tty1) as RB suggested
does not help. By the way, I am using a vanilla kernel straight from
kernel.org. Prior to that, I was using an ubuntu-sources kernel but
having had the same problem I thought that maybe the issue was due to
some ubuntu specific patch to the kernel.

grep CONSOLE .config outputs

# CONFIG_NETCONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

grep _FB_ .config doesn't output anything as I do not have any Frame
Buffer support enabled.

Setting

USEPIVOT=0

as per Markus' suggestion and rebuilding the initrd image results in a
kernel panic after reboot with the following grub configuration (taken
from the build-initrd.sh comments)

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.22.1vanila Encrypted No Pivot
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.22.1vanila ro root=101 console=tty
initrd          /initrd-crypt.gz

(initrd-crypt.gz is the correct initrd image. I have set
INITRDGZNAME=initrd-crypt.gz)

The kernel panic seemed due to the initrd image not being able to mount
root - i.e. last messages printed to the console are:

List of All Partitions:
0300 78150744 hda driver ide-disk
0301 64228 hda1
0302 76172197 hda2
0303 1911735 hda3
No filesystems can mount root tried ext2 ext3 minix
Kernel panic - not syncing
VFS: unable to mount rootfs on unknow-block(1,1)

hda1 is boot initialised as ext2, hda2 is root initialised as ext3. I
find this kind of strange as I have the chipset drivers compiled in and
ext2 and ext3 compiled in the kernel as well. I can see the kernel
detecting the hds correctly before panicking.

Regards,

Jivko

-