Re: loop-aes on MIPS DSL Router

Hello,

* Peter_22@xxxxxx <Peter_22@xxxxxx> [2007-04-21 18:27]:
> Since popular DSL Modems/Routers run some kind of Linux on a 32bit
> MIPS processor I ask myself if loop-aes source can be compiled for
> this platform as well. Someone claimed on his website
> http://nanl.de/blog/html/loop-aes-lauft-nun-auch-auf-der-nslu2.html to
> run loop-aes on a network storage link device.

There is no reason why it should not work, there is also a report and
benchmark of loop-AES on openwrt:

http://nanl.de/blog/html/es-ist-getan-loopaes-lauft-auf-openwrt.html

(100mb in 5m 32s means a speed of ca. 300kbyte/s, far away from a
regular PC)

> A popular DSL modem is
> the 7170 model from AVM http://www.avm.de/, an integrated DSL modem
> and WLAN router with 32MB ram and 8MB flash memory. This model can
> also handle attached hard disk drives via USB. Concerning processing
> power it offers a MIPS with about 200 MHz clock speed. So, can the
> loop-aes source package be compiled for MIPS or is this a bad idea?
> Hopefully my questions make sense to someone here.

You can look for the different fritz!box modding projects to get a
compiler and maybe the kernel sources. The last time I opened a
fritz!box, it had a 150MHz CPU, which would even further reduce the
possible throughput.

Some embedded routers (e.g. the Netgear WGT634U) also offer an embedded
crypto core based on the Sentry 5 (BCM55xx?) chipset - this probably
would highly improve loop-aes speed, but there is no driver available as
of yet.

Kind regards,
Georg Lukas
--
|| http://op-co.de ++  GCS/CM d? s: a-- C+++ UL+++ !P L+++ E--- W++  ++
|| gpg: 0x962FD2DE ||  N++ o? K- w---() O M V? PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ t*  ||
|| Ge0rG: euIRCnet ||  5 X+ R tv b+(+++) DI+(+++) D+ G e* h! r* !y+  ||

-