Re: /dev/loop3 No appropriate device found

* Bernhard Stoevesandt <bernhard.stoevesandt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > So you didn't build loop-AES' loop.o module. Your mount attempt
> > fails because there is no loop driver available.
>
> this is in a way funny, because it should have been built in the
> util-linux section as i remember. obviously it didn't. that's
> somehow strange.

just being curious....are you using suse linux by any chance?

> > Securitywise, your setup is broken and exploitable. I recommend
> > that you re-encrypt those partitions using loop-AES version 3
> > on-disk format.
>
> o.k. i will do. why is that now anyway? because right now the
> passphrases are interceptible? thanx again!

in order to prevent watermark attacks, v3 has to be used. v2 and v1
of loop-aes are vulnerable to it, as well as mainline cryptoloop,
dm-crypt without special patch (kernel <v2.6.10), bestcrypt and
truecrypt < v4.10

further info (in german)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermark_attack

--