Re: /dev/loop3 No appropriate device found

o.k. thanx!
here are some of the results (which in a way surprise me):

> You didn't say what kernel you are running. 2.4 and older kernels need
> modutils to load kernel modules. 2.6 kernels need module-init-tools to
> load
> kernel modules.
> What does "uname -a" command say?

Linux client4 2.4.18-4GB #1 Don Mär 16 09:55:52 CET 2006 i686 unknown

> What does "ls -l /lib/modules/*/block/loop*" command say?

Nothing! There is no block subdirectory ...

ls -l /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/
build                   modules.dep             modules.parportmap
pcmcia
dvb                     modules.generic_string  modules.pcimap
pcmcia-external
kernel                  modules.ieee1394map     modules.pnpbiosmap
thinkpad
misc                    modules.isapnpmap       modules.usbmap
wlan-ng

> What does "modprobe loop" command say? If it says something like this:
> "modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented", then it is caused by
> missing module-init-tools.

Nothing:
modprobe loop
modprobe: Can't locate module loop

> What does "cat /proc/devices" command say?

 cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 14 sound
 21 sg
 29 fb
116 alsa
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw
180 usb

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  8 sd
  9 md
 11 sr
 22 ide1
 65 sd
 66 sd

Zhere is no loop-device. but why? i did patch the util-linux and ran
through the instructions given in the README.

> You said you were using loop-AES-v1.7, which is pretty old. Newer kernels
> may need newer version of loop-AES to compile correctly. loop-AES'
> userland
> to kernel interface is binary compatible, so if you build a kernel module
> using latest released version of loop-AES, it should work fine with your
> old
> losetup/mount programs.

well, maybe it is a good idea to get a newer version of loop-aes and try
to install it. since this seems to me rather weird. any better idea? so i
hope the disks will mount also on the new versions.

bernhard

-