Re: Somebody stop the junk mail!

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Hubert Chan wrote:

> Rik> Would it be acceptable to have a "self whitelisting" system here -
> Rik> ie. a "mailing list" that people can subscribe to, but not post to,
> Rik> and subscribers from that silent list would be allowed to post to
> Rik> the linux-crypto list ?
>
> That would be fine with me.  I guess if nobody complains about this, we
> can go ahead with this.

OK, I've set up this list, trustedpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Note that
you can not send any email to this list - its only use is to
automatically be approved to send mail to any of the members-only
mailing lists on nl.linux.org.

You can subscribe like this:

$ echo subscribe | mail trustedpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> Rik> Any volunteers ?
>
> I wouldn't mind helping out.  Although I probably wouldn't be able to
> take it all on (e.g. I may be out of town at some points).
>
> The amount of spam that actually does get through doesn't seem to be
> that much (and after we close the list, that should get rid of the guy
> who's using the list address to sign up for various things), so my guess
> is that this should only require a couple other people.

Indeed.  Lets see how the "trustedpost" thing works out, and
then we can look at the other measures.

If you read via gmane or another source, and want to post to
the list without subscribing - just add yourself to trustedpost
and you'll be able to send mail to the list just fine.

-