Re: Dutch Government wants to regulate strong cryptography

	I probably shouldn't quote and entire message from another
mailing list....  But, it's short...  Attached at the bottow is the
entire message posted the other day to the openssh-unix-dev mailing
list <openssh-unix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>.  A few of the URL's are included
in-line.

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:01:03AM -0400, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:54:13AM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 03:44:47PM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> > 	Yeah, I've seen some comments and a patch or two on the OpenSSH
> > mailing list and some chatter on the SSH mailing list.  I think you could
> > find a patch, which includes some time randomizers and some idle time
> > packets, just by searching archives on the mailings lists for the last
> > couple of months.

> I'd be interested in any such patches you might be able to dig up or
	know of.  An idle random-packet generator would be quite
	interesting, especially if it meant that the two sides
	sometimes acknowledged (echo'd) the packets and other times
	didn't, to simulate interactive and non-interactive packets.
	It would have to send the packets sometimes individually like
	random key strokes, and other times in chunks like an X application.

	<Your line wrap didn't>

	http://www.silicondefense.com/software/ssh/ssh-2.9.2-diffs
	http://www.silicondefense.com/software/ssh/opens3h-2.9p2.tar.gz

> If anyone here knows of any cryptographers that have actually looked
	at these types of traffic analysis attacks and preventative
	measures, feel free to post links.

	http://paris.cs.berkeley.edu/~dawnsong/ssh-timing.html

> --
> Michael T. Babcock
> CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.
>
> Linux-crypto:  cryptography in and on the Linux system
> Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

===== Begin Forwarded Message from <openssh-unix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> =====

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 18:21:58 -0700
From: "C. Jason Coit" <jasonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: openssh-unix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Defeating Timing Attacks
Sender: owner-openssh-unix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

al. in her paper http://paris.cs.berkeley.edu/~dawnsong/ssh-timing.html
we
at Silicon Defense developed a patch for openssh to avoid such
measures.

Timing Analysis Evasion changes were developed by C. Jason Coit and Roel
Jonkman of Silicon Defense.

These changes cause SSH to send packets unless request not to, exactly
every 50 ms.  IF no data is ready to be sent, SSH will send a bogus
packet with 16 bytes of data (which is the same size as most
keystrokes).  Thus someone performing timing analysis cannot determine
the inter keystroke timing of a user.  SSH will send bogus data for
about 1 second after the last keystroke.  This both increases the
difficulty of determining exact password lengths and conserves bandwidth
when a user is idle (e.g. taking a coffee break).  Both the Server and
the Client exhibit this behavior and yet our code places no limit on the
data rate(i.e. if the server needs to respond with large amounts of data
it will be able to do so with large packets and without the 50 ms timing
constraint).

The patch is currently for openssh 2.9.2 only (should not be hard to
port) and is available below as well as on the Silicon Defense web site

http://www.silicondefense.com/software/ssh/ssh-2.9.2-diffs

There is also a tarbal version of the the patched 2.9.2 openssh code
available for download.

http://www.silicondefense.com/software/ssh/opens3h-2.9p2.tar.gz

--

|        C. Jason Coit Programmer/Analyst         |