Re: Dutch Government wants to regulate strong cryptography

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 03:44:47PM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> Hi,

> Quoting Dale Amon (amon@xxxxxxx):
> > There appears to be an exploitable weakness in ssh
> > right now. Characters are transmitted as fast as
> > typed; interpacket timings carry probabilistic data
> > on which character pairs were typed.
> iirc there actually are two vulnerabilities; the ability to make
> statistically supported guesses about password length, and guesses about
> password _content_; both in the initial ssh password exchange, and in
> password exchanges in _new_ ssh sessions from an existing ssh session.

	Also in other commands run in an ssh session.  For instances,
running "su" is two chars with echo in and a password prompt back out
with several chars without echo in again.  Password success or failure
can be determined from subsequent prompts and reentries.  Unique enough
that you can spot it in traffic and guess that the dude ran su and you
have a good guess on the length (number of keystrokes) and content
(clustered heuristics based on timing) of the root password.  Accumulate
a few instances and your guesses get better.  Pretty slick.  Strongest
recommendation I've seen for switching to OPIE/SKEY.

> > If anyone knows the guys working on ssh, make sure
> > they are aware of this. I tried getting email through
> > the web site but there was no good address there and
> > I have not gotten a reply.
> They are aware of it, and there are patches. I don't recall which versions
> actually have these patches, or where they can be found.
> Just FYI.

	Yeah, I've seen some comments and a patch or two on the OpenSSH
mailing list and some chatter on the SSH mailing list.  I think you could
find a patch, which includes some time randomizers and some idle time
packets, just by searching archives on the mailings lists for the last
couple of months.

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/