Re: Dutch Government wants to regulate strong cryptography

> It is truly ironic that the United States, once the beacon for
> promoting the principles of freedom of expression, is now
> systematically infecting other countries with this dangerous public
> policy choice [the DMCA] that will restrict more speech than any law
> before it.

This is an issue that has to be actively fought back. In my opinion the best
way to do it is to tell anyone you know about cryptography.  Most people are
not even aware of the availably of cryptography or have wrong concepts like
"everything can be broken by security agencies, so why bother encrypting
anything". Once the people discover how easy is for them to use encryption and
the advantages deriving from using it they will start everyday use and will
teach others. I always take time to give short introductions about ciphers,
public keys (a.s.o) to everyone who wants to listen. Keep in mind that the more
people use encryption, the more difficult will be for others to spy you. At
some point, whoever they are and whatever their resources are they will be
overwhelmed.

On the other hand don't keep encrypted files, keep rather encrypted partitions
and also keep your free disk space filled with random data. Nobody will then
be able to prove that you have encrypted data on your computer because they will
just look like random noise. If you want to communicate encrypted data on the
Internet make use of steganography (there are hundreds of IRC mp3/jpeg/mpeg
channels where you may exchange your data through IRC robots that always do
peer to peer connections and nobody will be able to tell who is the recipient
of your messages from those 94 people who downloaded that p0rn).

For your regular email use relays on which you have at least a local account if
not root. If you have root access use VPNs (I found CIPE very handy) or write
your own encrypted relay software that listens to some port and resends your
mails on port 25. Alternatively openssl/ssh can be used to tunnel pop3 and smtp
protocols.  Using relays has the advantage of decoupling you (and your personal
computer) from your emails. Use many relays randomly chosen with as many users
as you can find (hacked computers are preferred ;-).

Don't make the life of peoples who try to spy on you easy.

--
								Regards,
								Emil