Re: Dutch Government wants to regulate strong cryptography

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 03:25:00PM +0300, Emil wrote:
> For your regular email use relays on which you have at least a local account if
> not root. If you have root access use VPNs (I found CIPE very handy) or write
> your own encrypted relay software that listens to some port and resends your
> mails on port 25. Alternatively openssl/ssh can be used to tunnel pop3 and smtp
> protocols.  Using relays has the advantage of decoupling you (and your personal
> computer) from your emails. Use many relays randomly chosen with as many users
> as you can find (hacked computers are preferred ;-).

There appears to be an exploitable weakness in ssh
right now. Characters are transmitted as fast as
typed; interpacket timings carry probabilistic data
on which character pairs were typed.

An Israeli student has done a paper on how to use a
hidden markov model to extract root passwords.

Oh, and the iniitial packets sizes in a root logon
have a detectable signature.

See http://comnet.technion.ac.il/~cn19s01/

If anyone knows the guys working on ssh, make sure
they are aware of this. I tried getting email through
the web site but there was no good address there and
I have not gotten a reply.

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland