RE: Announce loop-AES-v1.3d file crypto package

Mr. Ruusu:

	I understand you may not be in a position (as per time to do it or have a knowledgebase programming-wise with regard to the windows API / filesystem implementation) to develop such a product (windows version), however I would like to be able to burn a file to a CD-ROM, and know I could access it from either Linux or Windows.

	I will say that many Linux based mailing lists and such find it very easy to hate Microsoft and their OSes, and I don't care for them too much either. However, I do need to be able to interact with them, as I do computer work for a living. I would wonder how you would feel about some attempting to implement your code under Windows in order to provide a mechanism to achieving having an encrypted CD-ROM with a data file on it which can be read on either Linux or Windows. We can hate the Windows OS all we want, but reality is we must deal with it.

	With regard to my other questions, I am presuming then that what you are saying is that if I create a 500MB file, mount it with loop-aes, and do an initialization of ReiserFS on it. And then extend the length of the file, ReiserFS (and loop-aes) will be able to extend its filesystem and allow me to take advantage of the gained space?

	Another question is how difficult is it to combine compression with encryption? In other words, would it be possible to modify loop-aes to also be able to apply compression against the encrypted data?

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Sunday, August 05, 2001 11:28 AM