Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.3d file crypto package

"IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R" wrote:
> a) Presuming that I create a loop-aes device and place NTFS on the device.
>    Do you plan a Windows 2000 implementation of loop-aes at all, such that
>    loop-aes encrypted files could be decrypted under W2K (there are
>    drivers for W2K to read ext2 filesystems also)? I recently was told of
>    a product called "BestCrypt" (yeah it is commercial, but it does also
>    work, is not badly over priced either).

No Winblows support from me.

> b) Since loop-aes is an encryption layer between the OS and filesystem,
>    how much overhead do you suspect it will place upon a filesystem to do
>    its encryption work?

Loop device is a layer between filesystem and disk driver. Software
encryption has some overhead, but on my primary system speed of AES is
faster than what my disk can transfer.

> a) LOOP-AES is implemented
> b) A filesystem is placed onto a loop device
> c) Wont increasing the size of the physical file affect the encryption?

No.

> d) How would such an increase in the file size be accomplished?

man dd

> e) If it was accomplished (with ReiserFS installed), ReiserFS can expand
>    itself to encompass the new physical space

Thats right.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>