Re: system sluggish with new distro

Peter Kirk wrote:
> about Suse kernel + gentoo, I haven't tried that, because its not so easy.
> Gentoo uses devfs, SuSE doesnt - I cant just change the suse kernel to use
> devfs, then suse will not boot anymore etc. Im using the same config though,
> that shouldnt make a difference. Gentoo kernel is 2.4.19, SuSE is 2.4.20, and
> both have some performance patches on them (low latency for suse, gentoo has
> low latency and some more).

I meant that you try SuSE kernel source recompiled with gentoo kernel
configuration, with CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y and CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y. Just leave
SuSE kernel binary as it is, and SuSE will continue to boot just fine.

Since you mentioned that you are willing to experiment, can you also try
with some mainline kernel without new O(1) scheduler? I see bad
interactivity with O(1) scheduler without any crypto.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-