Re: system sluggish with new distro

Well,

as it seems, the problem was/is not that simple. After having changed my
harddrives to use dma (yes i double checked them all) I still get the lagging
mouse etc. if i put some load on my system. E.g. if i compile something in a
terminal in kde, then my load goes up to 2.5 (is this unusually high ?), and
my mouse starts only getting updated 2 times/sec, same is with keyboard
input. With SuSE i never ever got a laggy mouse (ok, maybe with load 10 or
something).
My System:

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz FSB 133
512 MB PC-133 2-2-2 Cl2
3 HD's, all (relatively) current:
root@notch pwk # hdparm -Tt /dev/hda /dev/hdb /dev/hde

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.65 seconds =196.92 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.74 seconds = 36.78 MB/sec

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.67 seconds =191.04 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.76 seconds = 36.36 MB/sec

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.67 seconds =191.04 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.58 seconds = 40.51 MB/sec

Running loop-aes 1.6i on gentoo, on Kernel 2.4.19

Hope you  can help
Peter

--
The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid,
stable business.

-