system sluggish with new distro

Hi,

i have my system partitions (all except /boot) encrypted with loop-aes. Now,
this setup worked fine on my SuSE 8.0 distro (of course copying was a bit
slower then without encryption). Now, I installed gentoo on my system, using
the same encryption method. The Problem: When copying files, in fact
everytime i get disc activity my system goes very 'sluggish', meaning i type
stuff, and see it all appear 2 or 3 sec later....meaning i move the mouse and
it doesnt, but jumps after a while.
I was wondering why this could be, and how I might fix it....Changing the
Priority of the loop? processes from -9 to 0 didnt help very much :(.

love to be helped :D
Peter
--
Extreme feminine beauty is always disturbing.
		-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4

-