Re: system sluggish with new distro

Am Sonntag, 19. Januar 2003 14:59 schrieb Jari Ruusu:
> Peter Kirk wrote:
> > as it seems, the problem was/is not that simple. After having changed my
> > harddrives to use dma (yes i double checked them all) I still get the
> > lagging mouse etc. if i put some load on my system. E.g. if i compile
> > something in a terminal in kde, then my load goes up to 2.5 (is this
> > unusually high ?), and my mouse starts only getting updated 2 times/sec,
> > same is with keyboard input. With SuSE i never ever got a laggy mouse
> > (ok, maybe with load 10 or something).
>
> Have you tried using SuSE kernel with Gentoo userland?

Sorry for that empty message =)
about Suse kernel + gentoo, I haven't tried that, because its not so easy.
Gentoo uses devfs, SuSE doesnt - I cant just change the suse kernel to use
devfs, then suse will not boot anymore etc. Im using the same config though,
that shouldnt make a difference. Gentoo kernel is 2.4.19, SuSE is 2.4.20, and
both have some performance patches on them (low latency for suse, gentoo has
low latency and some more).

Is there anything specific I might have done wrong ?

Thanks in advance
Peter
--
	"And what will you do when you grow up to be as big as me?"
asked the father of his little son.

-