Re: system sluggish with new distro

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:10:15AM +0100, Peter Kirk wrote:

> im not yet on demolition course, since I like my fresh install of gentoo very
> much, and since I spent a lot of time to get it this way.

   That may be, but I've done many new installs of various distros, and
sometimes it's very clear that something is missing or not installed
properly. And the only solution is formating the drive and starting over.
   Don't know about gentoo, but I do know it's fairly common occurence with both
mandrake and susi. And if you're seeing mouse or keyboard sloth when doing a
compile, something is very seriously wrong. It's not a matter of setting
priorities -- or at least in 14 years of running *nix systems, I've never seen
that happen. I just got done compiling a new kernel on a a 266 box with gnome
running with 8 mozilla windows running, 5 xterms, opera with 5 windows, and
openoffice with two sessions -- and didn't notice the any slowness during the
compile. Well, of course, it would have run the compile faster if I didn't have
all the rest going, but everything was perfectly usable.
   I'd format the drive and start over. You've got a whole lot more wrong than
just a little tuning will take care of.

 So, please get me

--
Harmon Seaver