Re: system sluggish with new distro

Am Sonntag, 19. Januar 2003 23:36 schrieb Harmon Seaver:
>    I'm a bit mystified about this whole "slowness" problem. You're running
> a 1.2gig cpu? I'm running several linux boxes (slackware and heavily
> modified redhat) on 200mhz and 266mhz cpus and really don't see much
> slowness. Certainly nothing with mouse or keyboard. And I like to keep
> about something like 12 to 20 windows open in gnome.
>    I've had 800mhz boxes at work running linux, which, besides booting
> faster, seemed little at all faster than my 233 box at home. If you are
> seeing real sloth on your machine, I'd try a whole new installation. I know
> at one point I was trying some Mandrake issues, and found extreme variation
> in installs -- some very, very slow.
>    But really -- come'on -- I've run web and email servers for fairly large
> institutions on 200mhz linux boxes, with no complaints from around 500
> email account users -- and you're seeing sloth in a single user 1.2gig box?
> Good grief. I'd wipe it out and start over. Try slackware once, see how
> that runs, then try something a bit more exotic.

Well =)

im not yet on demolition course, since I like my fresh install of gentoo very
much, and since I spent a lot of time to get it this way. So, please get me
some constructive stuff to try out, and I will greatly appreciate it and try
it =). BTW: I dont realy think the CPU makes a big difference, theres
something about priorities wrong (my mouse movement is not as important as
compiling, or as HD access, or as something else, so it seems to me). I
already tried reniceing X to -10 or something, but that didnt change the
behavior of my mousepointer :(.

Still in need of help...
Peter
--
If you are not for yourself, who will be for you?
If you are for yourself, then what are you?

-