Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 6:10 PM Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > * I personally wouldn't want to run an LTS release based on ... what would
> > that be now.. Luminous + security patches??. IMO, the new releases really
> > are much more performant, much more scalable. N, O, and P are really much
> > much *much* better than previous releases. For example, I would not enable
> > snapshots on any cephfs except Pacific -- but do we really want to backport
> > the "stray dir splitting" improvement all the way back to mimic or L? -- to
> > me that seems extremely unwise and a waste of the developers' limited time.
>
> Then again, I am hit by the 13.2.7+ bug
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/43259 on one Mimic cluster.
>
> From what I can divine, it is a regression where some other fix or
> feature for rgw caused CopyObject to start failing for S3 clusters
> after 13.2.7.
> No fix or revert was done for mimic. Nor Nautilus. Then those two
> releases "timed out" and aren't considered worth the developers time
> anymore, so the ticket just got bumped to "fix later, and backport to
> Oct and Pac when that is done."

Minutes after you mentioned that bug, Casey pinged the issue and now
we should expect some movement on it. Thanks!

It's important to understand that the backport team doesn't have the
context or mailing list cycles to inherently understand the priority
of each issue on the backport list, so we users need to help make sure
the tracker priorities are accurate.
The priority of that issue is "Normal", and no user has asked to bump
it or pinged it recently, so it was easily skipped over.

I don't think users should be shy to nudge issues that seem to have
been missed for a few point releases, this is almost certainly an
honest misjudgement.

Cheers, Dan

P.S. I'm not sure, but maybe we can add some sort of vote feature to
the tracker to better understand the impact / urgency of the issues...