Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

Hi Franck,

I totally agree with your point 3 (also with 1 and 2 indeed). Generally speaking, the release cycle of many softwares tends to become faster and faster (not only for ceph, but also openstack etc...) and it's really hard and tricky to maintain an infrastructure up to date in such conditions, even more when you deal with storage. As a result, as you perfectly explained it, this gives the impression that the product is not that robust, contains a lot of bugs and needs a lot of patches etc. Few times upgrades had been released with obvious bugs or regressions (e.g DNS problem in 14.2.12,...) and this gives the impression that there is an urge to release, even if the corrections are not totally tested... which lead to a loose of confidence from the users.

And I am personally in this process !! We wanted to upgrade our Nautilus cluster. First we decided to go directly to Pacific, but looking to the list it appears to us that Pacific is absolutely not stable enough to be considered as a production release. We thus decided to go to octopus... maybe we will go to pacific when the v17 will be out.

I thus feel that the "last stable release" (currently pacific) is in fact a development release (and the community is the "testing pool" for that release) and the truly stable release is the n-1 one (octopus). Thus I am fully supporting your request for a LTS release with stability as a main goal.

F.