Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

On 6/22/21 6:56 PM, Martin Verges wrote:
> There is no "should be", there is no one answer to that, other than 42. Containers have been there before Docker, but Docker made them popular, exactly for the same reason as why Ceph wants to use them: ship a known good version (CI tests) of the software with all dependencies, that can be run "as is" on any supported platform.

So ship it tested for container software XXX and run it on YYY. How will that benefit me as a user?

To see the bigger picture: if indeed resources are freed up they can be used to fix bugs faster / create new features, add more tests, etc.

There are differences when running a docker
container, lxc, nspawn, podman, kubernetes and whatever. So you trade error A for error B.

As far as I understood there are a few container runtimes that are supported, i.e docker, podman. And that this might be extended in the future. So, at least in theory, it should work on those.

There are even problems with containers if you
don't use version X from docker. That's what the past told us, why should it be better in the future with even more container environments.

Future will tell what container runtimes gives least amount of problems / most benefits. I guess natural selection will do it's thing here. But you got a valid point: there still might be minor version compatibility issues in container runtimes themselves (although I wonder how often those impact Ceph). And even that is something that could be checked by the orchestrator. Still I would recommend to test container deployments just like non-containerized deploys, just to spot these kind of issues.

Have you tried running rancher on debian in the past? It breaks apart due to iptables or other stuff.

I have used rancher, but not on debian, and only for tests.

Gr. Stefan