Re: [External Email] Re: Ceph Nautius not working after setting MTU 9000

All,

Regarding Martin's observations about Jumbo Frames....

I have recently been gathering some notes from various internet sources regarding Linux network performance, and Linux performance in general, to be applied to a Ceph cluster I manage but also to the rest of the Linux server farm I'm responsible for.

In short, enabling Jumbo Frames without also tuning a number of other kernel and NIC attributes will not provide the performance increases we'd like to see.  I have not yet had a chance to go through the rest of the testing I'd like to do, but  I can confirm (via iperf3) that only enabling Jumbo Frames didn't make a significant difference.

Some of the other attributes I'm referring to are incoming and outgoing buffer sizes at the NIC, IP, and TCP levels, interrupt coalescing, NIC offload functions that should or shouldn't be turned on, packet queuing disciplines (tc), the best choice of TCP slow-start algorithms, and other TCP features and attributes.

The most off-beat item I saw was something about adding IPTABLES rules to bypass CONNTRACK table lookups.

In order to do anything meaningful to assess the effect of all of these settings I'd like to figure out how to set them all via Ansible - so more to learn before I can give opinions.

-->  If anybody has added this type of configuration to Ceph Ansible, I'd be glad for some pointers.

I have started to compile a document containing my notes.  It's rough, but I'd be glad to share if anybody is interested.

-Dave

Dave Hall
Binghamton University