From: Dave Hall [mailto:kdhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: maandag 25 mei 2020 5:11
To: Martin Verges; Suresh Rama
Cc: Amudhan P; Khodayar Doustar; ceph-users
Subject:  Re: [External Email] Re: Ceph Nautius not working
after setting MTU 9000

All,

Regarding Martin's observations about Jumbo Frames....

I have recently been gathering some notes from various internet sources
regarding Linux network performance, and Linux performance in general,
to be applied to a Ceph cluster I manage but also to the rest of the
Linux server farm I'm responsible for.

In short, enabling Jumbo Frames without also tuning a number of other
kernel and NIC attributes will not provide the performance increases
we'd like to see.  I have not yet had a chance to go through the rest of
the testing I'd like to do, but  I can confirm (via iperf3) that only
enabling Jumbo Frames didn't make a significant difference.

Some of the other attributes I'm referring to are incoming and outgoing
buffer sizes at the NIC, IP, and TCP levels, interrupt coalescing, NIC
offload functions that should or shouldn't be turned on, packet queuing
disciplines (tc), the best choice of TCP slow-start algorithms, and
other TCP features and attributes.

The most off-beat item I saw was something about adding IPTABLES rules
to bypass CONNTRACK table lookups.

In order to do anything meaningful to assess the effect of all of these
settings I'd like to figure out how to set them all via Ansible - so
more to learn before I can give opinions.

-->  If anybody has added this type of configuration to Ceph Ansible,
I'd be glad for some pointers.

I have started to compile a document containing my notes.  It's rough,
but I'd be glad to share if anybody is interested.

-Dave

Dave Hall
Binghamton University

On 5/24/2020 12:29 PM, Martin Verges wrote:

> Just save yourself the trouble. You won't have any real benefit from
MTU

<doustar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<doustar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> changed