Re: [External Email] Re: Ceph Nautius not working after setting MTU 9000

Amudhan,

Here is a trick I've used to test and evaluate Jumbo Frames without breaking production traffic:

 * Open a couple root ssh sessions on each of the two systems you want
   to test with.
     o   In one window start a continuous ping to the other system.
 * On both test systems:
     o Look at the output of 'ip route list'.
     o Use 'ip route change' to explicitly set the MTU of all of your
       routes to 1500.
     o Review the output of 'ip route list' to assure you got them all.
     o Use 'ip link set' to set the MTU of the interface.
         + Size of all packets is still 1500 due to the route MTUs
         + Ping should still be working like normal.
 * Using 'ip addr add' to create a test logical IP on each of the two
   systems - use something unrelated to your production IP addresses,
   like 2.2.2.2/24 and 2.2.2.3/24.
     o Go back to the procedure above and find any new routes
       associated with the addresses you just added.
         + Use 'ip addr change' to set the MTU of these new routes to
           8192.
     o Default route not needed.
 * Using the test interfaces try 'ping -s 5000'  or anything above 1500.
     o If this works, you have everything, including your network
       switches, set up correctly, and you're sending packets larger
       that 1500.
     o Yet your SSH sessions and all production traffic are still
       running at MTU 1500.
     o Since the route MTUs for these spare logical IPs is 8192, you
       should be able probe up to 'ping -s 8150' or higher, but I think
       you need to leave space for the IP and ICMP headers.

The nice thing about this is that you haven't disrupted your production traffic at this point, and in the worst case you can undo all of these changes by rebooting the two test nodes.

If you want to move your production traffic to Jumbo Frames, change the appropriate routes to MTU 8192 on all systems.  Then test test test.  Lastly, change your network configuration on any effected nodes so the increased MTU will be reinstated after every reboot.

-Dave

Dave Hall
Binghamton University