Re: ceph-volume lvm deactivate/destroy/zap

I would just like to mirror what Dan van der Ster’s sentiments are.

As someone attempting to move an OSD to bluestore, with limited/no LVM experience, it is a completely different beast and complexity level compared to the ceph-disk/filestore days.

ceph-deploy was a very simple tool that did exactly what I was looking to do, but now we have deprecated ceph-disk halfway into a release, ceph-deploy doesn’t appear to fully support ceph-volume, which is now the official way to manage OSDs moving forward.

My ceph-volume create statement ‘succeeded’ but the OSD doesn’t start, so now I am trying to zap the disk to try to recreate the OSD, and the zap is failing as Dan’s did.

And yes, I was able to get it zapped using the lvremove, vgremove, pvremove commands, but that is not obvious to someone who hasn’t used LVM extensively for storage management before.

I also want to mirror Dan’s sentiments about the unnecessary complexity imposed on what I expect is the default use case of an entire disk being used. I can’t see anything more than the ‘entire disk’ method being the largest use case for users of ceph, especially the smaller clusters trying to maximize hardware/spend.

Just wanted to piggy back this thread to echo Dan’s frustration.

Thanks,

Reed