Re: ceph-volume lvm deactivate/destroy/zap

Quoting Dan van der Ster (dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> Hi,
>
> For someone who is not an lvm expert, does anyone have a recipe for
> destroying a ceph-volume lvm osd?
> (I have a failed disk which I want to deactivate / wipe before
> physically removing from the host, and the tooling for this doesn't
> exist yet http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/22287)
>
> >  ceph-volume lvm zap /dev/sdu # does not work
> Zapping: /dev/sdu
> Running command: sudo wipefs --all /dev/sdu
>  stderr: wipefs: error: /dev/sdu: probing initialization failed:
> Device or resource busy
>
> How does one tear that down so it can be zapped?

wipefs -fa /dev/the/device
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/the/device bs=1M count=1

^^ I have succesfully re-created ceph-volume lvm bluestore OSDs with
above method (assuming you have done the ceph osd purge osd.$ID part
already and brought down the OSD process itself).

Gr. Stefan