Re: ceph-volume lvm deactivate/destroy/zap

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Dan van der Ster (dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
>> Thanks Stefan. But isn't there also some vgremove or lvremove magic
>> that needs to bring down these /dev/dm-... devices I have?
>
> Ah, you want to clean up properly before that. Sure:
>
> lvremove -f <volume_group>/<logical_volume>
> vgremove <volume_group>
> pvremove /dev/ceph-device (should wipe labels)
>
> So ideally there should be a ceph-volume lvm destroy / zap option that
> takes care of this:
>
> 1) Properly remove LV/VG/PV as shown above
> 2) wipefs to get rid of LVM signatures
> 3) dd zeroes to get rid of signatures that might still be there

ceph-volume does have a 'zap' subcommand, but it does not remove
logical volumes or groups. It is intended to leave those in place for
re-use. It uses wipefs, but
not in a way that would end up removing LVM signatures.

Docs for zap are at: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/ceph-volume/lvm/zap/

The reason for not attempting removal is that an LV might not be a
1-to-1 device to volume group. It is being suggested here to "vgremove
<volume_group>"
but what if the group has several other LVs that should not get
removed? Similarly, what if the logical volume is not a single PV but
many?

We believe that these operations should be up to the administrator
with better context as to what goes where and what (if anything)
really needs to be removed
from LVM.