Re: any recommendation of using EnhanceIO?

Hi Sam,

I would either expect to provide the cache with a redundant block device (ie
RAID1 SSD's) or the cache to allow itself to be configured to mirror across
two SSD's. Of course single SSD's can be used if the user accepts the risk.
If the cache did the mirroring then you could do fancy stuff like mirror the
writes, but leave the read cache blocks as single copies to increase the
cache capacity.

In either case although an outage is undesirable, its only data loss which
would be unacceptable, which would hopefully be avoided by the mirroring. As
part of this, it would need to be a way to make sure a "dirty" RBD can't be
accessed unless the corresponding cache is also attached.

I guess as it caching the RBD and not the pool or entire cluster, the cache
only needs to match the failure requirements of the application its caching.
If I need to cache a RBD that is on  a single server, there is no
requirement to make the cache redundant across racks/PDU's/servers...etc.

I hope I've answered your question?

> 2. We've got a branch which should merge soon (tomorrow probably) which
> actually does allow writes to be proxied, so that should alleviate some of
> these pain points somewhat.  I'm not sure it is clever enough to allow
> through writefulls for an ec base tier though (but it would be a good
idea!) -

Excellent news, I shall look forward to testing in the future. I did mention
the proxy write for write fulls to someone who was working on the proxy
write code, but I'm not sure if it ever got followed up.