Re: any recommendation of using EnhanceIO?

On 08/18/2015 11:08 AM, Nick Fisk wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Mark Nelson
Sent: 18 August 2015 15:55
To: Jan Schermer <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  any recommendation of using EnhanceIO?

On 08/18/2015 09:24 AM, Jan Schermer wrote:

On 18 Aug 2015, at 15:50, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/18/2015 06:47 AM, Nick Fisk wrote:
Just to chime in, I gave dmcache a limited test but its lack of proper
writeback cache ruled it out for me. It only performs write back caching on
blocks already on the SSD, whereas I need something that works like a
Battery backed raid controller caching all writes.

It's amazing the 100x performance increase you get with RBD's when
doing sync writes and give it something like just 1GB write back cache with
flashcache.

For your use case, is it ok that data may live on the flashcache for some
amount of time before making to ceph to be replicated?  We've wondered
internally if this kind of trade-off is acceptable to customers or not should the
flashcache SSD fail.

Was it me pestering you about it? :-)
All my customers need this desperately - people don't care about having
RPO=0 seconds when all hell breaks loose.
People care about their apps being slow all the time which is effectively an
"outage".
I (sysadmin) care about having consistent data where all I have to do is start
up the VMs.

Any ideas how to approach this? I think even checkpoints (like reverting to
a known point in the past) would be great and sufficient for most people...

Here's kind of how I see the field right now:

1) Cache at the client level.  Likely fastest but obvious issues like above.
RAID1 might be an option at increased cost.  Lack of barriers in some
implementations scary.

Agreed.

2) Cache below the OSD.  Not much recent data on this.  Not likely as fast as
client side cache, but likely cheaper (fewer OSD nodes than client nodes?).
Lack of barriers in some implementations scary.

This also has the benefit of caching the leveldb on the OSD, so get a big performance gain from there too for small sequential writes. I looked at using Flashcache for this too but decided it was adding to much complexity and risk.

I thought I read somewhere that RocksDB allows you to move its WAL to SSD, is there anything in the pipeline for something like moving the filestore to use RocksDB?

I believe you can already do this, though I haven't tested it. You can certainly move the monitors to rocksdb (tested) and newstore uses rocksdb as well.

3) Ceph Cache Tiering. Network overhead and write amplification on
promotion makes this primarily useful when workloads fit mostly into the
cache tier.  Overall safe design but care must be taken to not over-promote.

4) separate SSD pool.  Manual and not particularly flexible, but perhaps best
for applications that need consistently high performance.

I think it depends on the definition of performance. Currently even very fast CPU's and SSD's in their own pool will still struggle to get less than 1ms of write latency. If your performance requirements are for large queue depths then you will probably be alright. If you require something that mirrors the performance of traditional write back cache, then even pure SSD Pools can start to struggle.

Agreed. This is definitely the crux of the problem. The example below is a great start! It'd would be fantastic if we could get more feedback from the list on the relative importance of low latency operations vs high IOPS through concurrency. We have general suspicions but not a ton of actual data regarding what folks are seeing in practice and under what scenarios.

To give a real world example of what I see when doing various tests,  here is a rough guide to IOP's when removing a snapshot on a ESX server

Traditional Array 10K disks = 300-600 IOPs
Ceph 7.2K + SSD Journal = 100-200 IOPs (LevelDB syncing on OSD seems to be the main limitation)
Ceph Pure SSD Pool = 500 IOPs (Intel s3700 SSD's)

I'd be curious to see how much jemalloc or tcmalloc 2.4 + 128MB TC help here. Sandisk and Intel have both done some very useful investigations, I've got some additional tests replicating some of their findings coming shortly.

Ceph Cache Tiering = 10-500 IOPs (As we know, misses can be very painful)

Indeed. There's some work going on in this area too. Hopefully we'll know how some of our ideas pan out later this week. Assuming excessive promotions aren't a problem, the jemalloc/tcmalloc improvements I suspect will generally make cache teiring more interesting (though buffer cache will still be the primary source of really hot cached reads)

Ceph + RBD Caching with Flashcache = 200-1000 IOPs (Readahead can give high bursts if snapshot blocks are sequential)

Good to know!

And when copying VM's to datastore (ESXi does this in sequential 64k IO's.....yes silly I know)

Traditional Array 10K disks = ~100MB/s (Limited by 1GB interface, on other arrays I guess this scales)
Ceph 7.2K + SSD Journal = ~20MB/s (Again LevelDB sync seems to limit here for sequential writes)

This is pretty bad.  Is RBD cache enabled?

Ceph Pure SSD Pool = ~50MB/s (Ceph CPU bottleneck is occurring)

Again, seems pretty rough compared to what I'd expect to see!

Ceph Cache Tiering = ~50MB/s when writing to new block, <10MB/s when promote+overwrite
Ceph + RBD Caching with Flashcache = As fast as the SSD will go