Re: any recommendation of using EnhanceIO?

On 08/18/2015 06:47 AM, Nick Fisk wrote:
Just to chime in, I gave dmcache a limited test but its lack of proper writeback cache ruled it out for me. It only performs write back caching on blocks already on the SSD, whereas I need something that works like a Battery backed raid controller caching all writes.

It's amazing the 100x performance increase you get with RBD's when doing sync writes and give it something like just 1GB write back cache with flashcache.

For your use case, is it ok that data may live on the flashcache for some amount of time before making to ceph to be replicated? We've wondered internally if this kind of trade-off is acceptable to customers or not should the flashcache SSD fail.

-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Jan Schermer
Sent: 18 August 2015 12:44
To: Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  any recommendation of using EnhanceIO?

I did not. Not sure why now - probably for the same reason I didn't
extensively test bcache.
I'm not a real fan of device mapper though, so if I had to choose I'd still go for
bcache :-)

Jan

On 18 Aug 2015, at 13:33, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jan,

Out of curiosity did you ever try dm-cache?  I've been meaning to give it a
spin but haven't had the spare cycles.

Mark