Re: How to improve single thread sequential reads?

I think you might be thinking about the virtio-blk driver for blk-mq. Blk-mq
itself seems to be a lot more about enhancing the overall block layer
performance in Linux

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Linux_Multi-Queue_Block_IO_Queueing_Mec
hanism_(blk-mq)

> So what was added to the kernel was probably the host-side infrastructure
> to handle blk-mq in guest passthrough to the krdb device, but that's
probably
> not your case, is it?
>

> >> Anyway I'd try to bump up read_ahead_kb first, and max_hw_sectors_kb
> >> (to make sure it gets into readahead), also try (if you're not using
> >> blk-mq)
> > to a
> >> cfq scheduler and set it to rotational=1. I see you've also tried
> >> this,
> > but I think
> >> blk-mq is the limiting factor here now.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you can't adjust the max_hw_sectors_kb (which equals
> > object size, from what I can tell) and the max_sectors_kb is already
> > set at the hw_max. But it would sure be nice if the max_hw_sectors_kb
> > could be set higher though, but I'm not sure if there is a reason for
this
> limit.
> >

> >> If you are running a single-threaded benchmark like rados bench then
> > what's
> >> limiting you is latency - it's not surprising it scales up with more
> > threads.
> >
> > Agreed, but with sequential workloads, if you can get readahead
> > working properly then you can easily remove this limitation as a
> > single threaded op effectively becomes multithreaded.
>
> Thinking on this more - I don't know if this will help after all, it will
still be a
> single thread, just trying to get ahead of the client IO - and that's not
likely to
> happen unless you can read the data in userspace slower than what Ceph
> can read...
>
> I think striping multiple device could be the answer after all. But have
you
> tried creating the RBD volume as striped in Ceph?

Yes striping would probably give amazing performance, but the kernel client
currently doesn't support it, which leaves us in the position of trying to
find work arounds to boost performance.

Although the client read is single threaded, the RBD/RADOS layer would split
these larger readahead IOs into 4MB requests that would then be processed in
parallel by the OSD's. This is much the same way as sequential access
performance varies with a RAID array. If your IO size matches the stripe
size of the array then you get nearly the bandwidth of all disks involved. I
think in Ceph the effective stripe size is the   object size * #OSDS.