Re: How to improve single thread sequential reads?

Thanks for the replies guys.

The client is set to 4MB, I haven't played with the OSD side yet as I wasn't
sure if it would make much difference, but I will give it a go. If the
client is already passing a 4MB request down through to the OSD, will it be
able to readahead any further? The next 4MB object in theory will be on
another OSD and so I'm not sure if reading ahead any further on the OSD side
would help.

How I see the problem is that the RBD client will only read 1 OSD at a time
as the RBD readahead can't be set any higher than max_hw_sectors_kb, which
is the object size of the RBD. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

If you could set the RBD readahead to much higher than the object size, then
this would probably give the desired effect where the buffer could be
populated by reading from several OSD's in advance to give much higher
performance. That or wait for striping to appear in the Kernel client.

I've also found that BareOS (fork of Bacula) seems to has a direct RADOS
feature that supports radosstriper. I might try this and see how it performs
as well.