Re: How to improve single thread sequential reads?

Hi Nick,

did you do anything fancy to get to ~90MB/s in the first place?
I'm stuck at ~30MB/s reading cold data. single-threaded-writes are
quite speedy, around 600MB/s.

radosgw for cold data is around the 90MB/s, which is imho limitted by
the speed of a single disk.

Data already present on the osd-os-buffers arrive with around
400-700MB/s so I don't think the network is the culprit.

(20 node cluster, 12x4TB 7.2k disks, 2 ssds for journals for 6 osds
each, lacp 2x10g bonds)

rados bench single-threaded performs equally bad, but with its default
multithreaded settings it generates wonderful numbers, usually only
limiited by linerate and/or interrupts/s.

I just gave kernel 4.0 with its rbd-blk-mq feature a shot, hoping to
get to "your wonderful" numbers, but it's staying below 30 MB/s.

I was thinking about using a software raid0 like you did but that's
imho really ugly.
When I know I needed something speedy, I usually just started dd-ing
the file to /dev/null and wait for about  three minutes before
starting the actual job; some sort of hand-made read-ahead for
dummies.

Thx in advance
  Benedikt