Re: Is CephFS ready for production?

We are still laying the foundations for eventual VMware integration and indeed the Red Hat acquisition has made this more real now.

The first step is iSCSI support and work is ongoing in the kernel to get HA iSCSI working with LIO and kRBD. See the blueprint and CDS sessions with Mike Christie for an update. Love it or hate it, iSCSI is still the standard protocol supported by ESX etc and this will be the initial QA burden.

Neil

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Michal Kozanecki <mkozanecki@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is what I found from 2014 - slide 7

https://www.openstack.org/assets/presentation-media/inktank-demo-theater.pptx

Cheers,

Michal Kozanecki | Linux Administrator | E: mkozanecki@xxxxxxxxxx

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ray Sun
Sent: April-24-15 10:44 PM
To: Gregory Farnum
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Is CephFS ready for production?

​I think this is what I seen in 2013 Hongkong summit. At least in Ceph Enterprise version.​

Best Regards
-- Ray

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the VMWare plugin was going to be contracted out by the business people, and it was never going to be upstream anyway -- I've not heard anything since then but you'd need to ask them I think.
-Greg

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 7:17 AM Marc <mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 22/04/2015 16:04, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Mohamed Pakkeer <mdfakkeer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi sage,
>>
>> When can we expect the fully functional fsck for cephfs?. Can we get at next
>> major release?. Is there any roadmap or time frame for the fully functional
>> fsck release?
> We're working on it as fast as we can, and it'll be done when it's
> done. ;) More seriously, I'm still holding out a waning hope that
> we'll have the "forward scrub" portion ready for Infernalis and then
> we'll see how long it takes to assemble a working repair tool from
> that.
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Marc <mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am curious about the current state of the roadmap as well. Alongside the
>> already asked question Re vmware support, where are we at with cephfs'
>> multiMDS stability and dynamic subtree partitioning?
> Zheng has fixed a ton of bugs in these areas over the last year, but
> both features are farther down the roadmap since we don't think we
> need them for the earliest production users.
> -Greg

Thanks for letting us know! Due to the RedHat acquisition the ICE
roadmap seems to have disappeared. Is a vmware driver still being worked
on? With vmware being closed source and all, I imagine this lies mostly
within the domain of VMware Inc., correct? Having iSCSI proxies as
mediators is rather clunky...

(And yes I am actively working on trying to get the interested parties
to strongly look into KVM, but they have become very comfortable with
VMware vsphere enterprise plus...)

Thanks and have a nice weekend!