Re: PG inconsistency

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, GuangYang wrote:
> Hello Cephers,
> Recently we observed a couple of inconsistencies in our Ceph cluster,
> there were two major patterns leading to inconsistency as I observed: 1)
> EIO to read the file, 2) the digest is inconsistent (for EC) even there
> is no read error).
>
> While ceph has built-in tool sets to repair the inconsistencies, I also
> would like to check with the community in terms of what is the best ways
> to handle such issues (e.g. should we run fsck / xfs_repair when such
> issue happens).
>
> In more details, I have the following questions:
> 1. When there is inconsistency detected, what is the chance there is
> some hardware issues which need to be repaired physically, or should I
> run some disk/filesystem tools to further check?

I'm not really an operator so I'm not as familiar with these tools as I
should be :(, but I suspect the prodent route is to check the SMART info
on the disk, and/or trigger a scrub of everything else on the OSD (ceph
osd scrub N).  For DreamObjects, I think they usually just fail the OSD
once it starts throwing bad sectors (most of the hardware is already
reasonably aged).

> 2. Should we use fsck / xfs_repair to fix the inconsistencies, or should
> we solely relay on Ceph's repair tool sets?

That might not be a bad idea, but I would urge caution if xfs_repair finds
any issues or makes any changes, as subtle changes to the fs contents can
confuse ceph-osd.  At an absolute minimum, do a full scrub after, but
even better would be to fail the OSD.

(FWIW I think we should document a recommended "safe" process for
failing/replacing an OSD that takes the suspect data offline but waits for
the cluster to heal before destroying any data.  Simply marking the OSD
out will work, but then when a fresh drive is added there will be a second
repair/rebalance event, which isn't ideal.)

sage