Re: PG inconsistency

Thanks Sage!

Google's data also shows the strong correlation between scrub error (especially several SMART parameters) and disk failure - https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/fast07/tech/full_papers/pinheiro/pinheiro.pdf.

>> 2. Should we use fsck / xfs_repair to fix the inconsistencies, or should
>> we solely relay on Ceph's repair tool sets?
>
> That might not be a bad idea, but I would urge caution if xfs_repair finds
> any issues or makes any changes, as subtle changes to the fs contents can
> confuse ceph-osd. At an absolute minimum, do a full scrub after, but
> even better would be to fail the OSD.
>
> (FWIW I think we should document a recommended "safe" process for
> failing/replacing an OSD that takes the suspect data offline but waits for
> the cluster to heal before destroying any data. Simply marking the OSD
> out will work, but then when a fresh drive is added there will be a second
> repair/rebalance event, which isn't ideal.)
Yeah that would be very helpful, I think the first decision to make is to whether should we replace the disk, in our clusters, there is data corruption (EIO) along with SMART warnings, which is an indicator of bad disk, meanwhile, we also observed xattr is lost (http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/10018) without any SMART warnings, after talking to Sam, we suspected it might be due to unexpected host rebooting (or mis-configured RAID controller), in which case we properly no need to replace the disk but only repair by ceph.

In terms of disk replacement, to avoid migrating data back and forth, are the below two approaches reasonable?
 1. Keep the OSD in and do an ad-hoc disk replacement and provision a new OSD (so that keep the OSD id as the same), and then trigger data migration. In this way the data migration only happens once, however, it does require operators to replace the disk very fast.
 2. Move the data on the broken disk to a new disk completely and use Ceph to repair bad objects.

Thanks,
Guang