Re: erasure coding (sorry)

Hi Sage,

On 04/22/2013 05:09 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Christopher LILJENSTOLPE wrote:
>> Supposedly, on 2013-Apr-22, at 01.10 PDT(-0700), someone claiming to be Loic Dachary scribed:
>>
>>> Hi Christopher,
>>>
>>> You wrote "A modified client/library could be used to store objects that should be sharded, vs "standard" ceph treatment.  In this model, each shard would be written to a seperate PG, and each PG would we stored on exactly one OSD.  " but there is no way for a client to enforce the fact that two objects are stored in separate PG.
>>
>> Poorly worded.  The idea is that each shard becomes a seperate object, and the encoder/sharder would use CRUSH to identify the OSDs to hold the shards.  However, the OSDs would treat the shard as an n=1 replication and just store locally.
>>
>> Actually, looking at this this morning, this is actually harder than the prefered alternative (i.e. grafting a encode/decode into the (e)OSD.  It was meant to cover the alternative approaches.  I didn't like this one, but it now appears to be more difficult, and non-deterministic of the placement.
>>
>> One question on CRUSH (it's been too long since I read the paper), if x is the same for two objects, and, using an n=3 returns R={OSD18,OSD45,OSD97}, if an object is handed to OSD45 that matches x, but has an n=1, would OSD45 store it, or would it forward it to OSD18 to store?  If it would this idea is DOA.  Also, if x is held invariant, but n changes, does the same R set get returned (truncated to n members)?
>
> It would go to osd18, the first item in the sequence that CRUSH generates.
>
> As Loic observes, not having control of placement from above the librados
> level makes this more or less a non-started.  The only thing that might
> work at that layer is to set up ~5 or more pools, each with a distinct set
> of OSDs, and put each shard/fragment in a different pool.  I don't think
> that is a particularly good approach.
>
> If we are going to do parity encoding (and I think we should!), I think we
> should fully integrate it into the OSD.
>
> The simplest approach:
>
>  - we create a new PG type for 'parity' or 'erasure' or whatever (type
>    fields already exist)
>  - those PGs use the parity ('INDEP') crush mode so that placement is
>    intelligent

I assume you do not mean CEPH_FEATURE_INDEP_PG_MAP as used in

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/osd/OSD.cc#L5237

but CRUSH_RULE_CHOOSE_INDEP as used in

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/crush/mapper.c#L331

when firstn == 0 because it was set in

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/crush/mapper.c#L523

I see that it would be simpler to write

   step choose indep 0 type row

and then rely on intelligent placement. Is there a reason why it would not be possible to use firstn instead of indep ?

>  - all reads and writes go to the 'primary'
>  - the primary does the shard encoding and distributes the write pieces to
>    the other replicas

Although I understand how that would work when a PG receives a CEPH_OSD_OP_WRITEFULL

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/osd/ReplicatedPG.cc#L2504

It may be inconvenient and expensive to recompute the parity encoded version if an object is written with a series of CEPH_OSD_OP_WRITE. The simplest way would be to decode the existing object, modify it according to what CEPH_OSD_OP_WRITE requires, encode it.

>  - same for reads
>
> There will be a pile of patches to move code around between PG and
> ReplicatedPG, which will be annoying, but hopefully not too painful.  The
> class structure and data types were set up with this in mind long ago.
>
> Several key challenges:
>
>  - come up with a scheme for internal naming to keep shards distinct
>  - safely rewriting a stripe when there is a partial overwrite.  probably
>    want to write new stripes to distinct new objects (cloning old data as
>    needed) and clean up the old ones once enough copies are present.

Do you mean RBD stripes ?

>  - recovery logic

If recovery is done from the scheduled scrubber in the ErasureCodedPG , I'm not sure if OSD.cc must be modified or is truly independent of the PG type

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/osd/OSD.cc#L3818

I'll keep looking, thanks a lot for the hints :-)

Cheers