Re: erasure coding (sorry)

Supposedly, on 2013-Apr-22, at 01.10 PDT(-0700), someone claiming to be Loic Dachary scribed:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> You wrote "A modified client/library could be used to store objects that should be sharded, vs "standard" ceph treatment.  In this model, each shard would be written to a seperate PG, and each PG would we stored on exactly one OSD.  " but there is no way for a client to enforce the fact that two objects are stored in separate PG.

Poorly worded.  The idea is that each shard becomes a seperate object, and the encoder/sharder would use CRUSH to identify the OSDs to hold the shards.  However, the OSDs would treat the shard as an n=1 replication and just store locally.

Actually, looking at this this morning, this is actually harder than the prefered alternative (i.e. grafting a encode/decode into the (e)OSD.  It was meant to cover the alternative approaches.  I didn't like this one, but it now appears to be more difficult, and non-deterministic of the placement.

One question on CRUSH (it's been too long since I read the paper), if x is the same for two objects, and, using an n=3 returns R={OSD18,OSD45,OSD97}, if an object is handed to OSD45 that matches x, but has an n=1, would OSD45 store it, or would it forward it to OSD18 to store?  If it would this idea is DOA.  Also, if x is held invariant, but n changes, does the same R set get returned (truncated to n members)?

	Thx
	Christopher