Re: UMAI 0.4: Welcome on Ubuntu Mate 23.04

Hello,

it depends on the specific script part. Considering the individual
operations as listed in the project's readme, 1 is UM specific, 2 could
technically be adapted to work on other platforms, but I would need to
implement a libatspi version check to determine which version of orca to
install, plus the symlinking hack we're doing right now is Ubuntu
specific I guess.

3 is system agnostic I think, 4 is UM specific and 5 should be also
rather universal, at least on debian forks.

So, in theory yes, I believe it could be done, but there would
inevitably need to be increased amount of platform branching in the
code, making it harder for people to follow if they want to see what's
happening to their system, also the development would become
increasingly more difficult.

Personally I don't like shell scripts for more complex programs, I'm in
for all sorts of simplicity so yeah, I understand it's awesome to use a
simple shell script when you need to say perform an automated
installation, execution or something of that kind, but if the script
needs to do things like parse output from various commands, and people
start doing all sorts of write-only awk magic, for me it's more
reasonable to write the script in a full-fledged programming language,
where the code would be readable and thoroughly checked by the compiler.

Though, one thing the shell scripts actually are doing very well is the
permissions job. In case of umai, there are operations that need to be
done as root, like updating and installing packages, and then, there are
things you likely do not want to do as root, such as cloning a
repository, installing Python dependencies into a virtual environment etc.

If I were to rewrite UMAI in a full-fledged programming language, this
is something I would need to consider.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 17. 9. 2023 o 10:29 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):