Re: In the market for a new Desktop.

I thought about the custom build myself, but from what I see at the moment, the CPU and motherboard bundles are running close to $500 now, and that's not even taking into account the RAM. The good thing is that you won't be saddled with an OS that you have to get rid of, because there is no OS on a custom build other than the one you put on it or hire a builder to put on it, and the boot firmware should just boot up from the optical drive or USB you plug into it before you transplant the hard drives. That said, you shouldn't even have to worry about installing a new OS from scratch unless your SSD is damaged. This is because Linux is very easy to transfer from one PC to the next just by taking the OS drive out of one and putting it into the other. Since in that case you wouldn't really need to worry about hard drives sucking up your funds, your CPU, motherboard, RAM, case and optical drive should most likely stay under $700, and definitely under the $1,000 high side of your budget without making your life needlessly difficult or making you get help just to boot it up for the first time.

~Kyle