Re: In the market for a new Desktop.

Well, the system drive on the old Desktop is a 320 GB HDD I salvaged
from an old netbook, so I at least want to upgrade to SSD for the OS
even if I wait another cycle or two of capacities going up and prices
coming down before investing in a 4TB SSD so all of my data is on
flash instead of spinning platters.

As for doing a custom build, had I a reliable daily runner and money
to burn or access to someone knowledgeable enough to help troubleshoot
issues in person, I might consider it as a side project, but I've
never built a PC before, the most I'm comfortable with doing inside a
tower is installing/removing SATA drives, I live in a small, middle of
nowhere town that can't really support a computer repair shop and I'm
the most tech savvy person I know in meatspace by a wide margin, and
this old dell I'm using as a stop gap until I get a new PC is running
worse on bare metal than the dead HP ran a LiveDVD(and I think the
Dell also has a dead CMOS battery as its boot order seems to reset to
HDD first everytime its unplugged, forcing sighted assistence every
time I need to boot install media or a Live DVD to do rescue
operations, so I'm afraid to even try customizing the Install of
Debian I managed to put on it since I can't willy nilly boot into a
Live environment to make/restore backups of my root partition.

In short, I don't have the experience to build a custom rig and be
certain everything will work first try, don't have anyone with said
experience I can turn to, and my stopgap is too fragile to put up with
delays if I don't get the custom build right on the first try. And I
was dealing with software issues on the old HP for about a week before
its death knell, so I'm pretty much at the end of my patience for
dealing with tech issues.