Re: Twitter alternatives for the blind community?

Okay, I missed most of this thread because I've never cared for
Facebook, Twitter, et al. and frankly hate how they've caused a
decline in more traditional web forums and tend to bring out the worst
in people, but my general thoughts on the "Blind Community" are as
such:

As a general rule, I'd argue that blind people are too spread out and
isolated from one another for us to fit the usual definition of
community. Heck, outside of attending a school for the blind, reunions
thereof, and spending some time in vocational rehab targetted at the
blind, I don't think I have ever met another blind person in
meatspace, and outside of the handful of blind accessibility mailing
lists I'm on and the Audio Games Forum, I don't think I've ever met
another blind person in cyberspace either.

That said, while its inaccurate, "the blind community" strikes me as
about as good a term as any to reference the set of all blind people,
and not too far off from how the term community is used in other
informal context(e.g. referring to the set of people who play video
games as "the gaming community" despite it also not being anywhere
close to being a unified community and instead a loose collection of
communities dedicated to specific franchises and individuals with no
strong connection to any particular community). Admittedly, it's less
wordy to just say "the blind" or "gamers" dropping the arguably
incorrectly used term, but honestly, I've got better things to do than
trying to make everyone else use English exactly like I use it, and
conversation would be much more bland if everyone wrote and spoke in
the exact same way.

And yeah, governments thinking "the most expensive option must be the
best" and trying to force that on all individuals and businesses
involved is a bad thing, though I'm not convinced its strictly a US
problem... or specifically an accessibility problem considering how
much the feedback loop of "businesses use it, so schools teach it,
schools teach it, so businesses use it" favors expensive, Proprietary
software like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and 3DS Max over FOSS
options like LibreOffice, The GIMP, and Blender.