Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

To be fair, unless Tumblr has seriously changed since I last used it before migrating to WordPress, it is totally accessible if used correctly. It is a blogging platform, similar in many ways to WordPress or even Blogger by Google, it's just a different underlying back-end system handling things on the server, and also does include some social features that aren't as easy to find in the core of other similar platforms. The main thing that makes Tumblr less than accessible is not Tumblr itself, but the fact that it is primarily used to publish photos, even more than text, videos, music or anything else that we would be better able to parse with a screen reader or our ears, and the users who publish these photos don't bother to put captions on them in many cases. WordPress can be just as inaccessible if it is used to publish a site that has nothing but pictures on it. There is the fact that Tumblr last I knew didn't try to recognize images by telling us what objects it can find, but that sometimes doesn't help either when the software that does that just says "No automatic alt text available" or "image may contain: two people smiling, outdoor, nature." These do give other social networks a slight advantage when used by people who publish photos with no captions, but the automatic recognition can unfortunately be nearly as uninformative as Tumblr's photo publishers.
~Kyle