Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Tony,
If you found bash scripts, rather than sbl, you probably found the Adrienne[spelling] menu system. SBL is the screen reader that should be running as a daemon before the menu system starts, although I can't say I'm well versed on the subject, as I found the Adrienne menu system to be too oversimplified for my needs. I'm also not a huge fan of the mix of Debian packages in Knoppix, taken from I believe stable and testing. Because it didn't meet my needs and didn't offer either a GNOME or MATE desktop out of the box, I didn't run it long enough to know what problems such a mix may cause.

In any case, I do recall SBL, formerly called SUSE Blinux, and possibly SUSE Blind Linux before that, being at least in early OpenSUSE. If it's not using any kernel modules or patches, it may be usable in other operating systems if the source RPM can be found. I wouldn't hold out much hope if it's only available as a binary RPM and the .deb in Knoppix though. Still, the fact remains that as far as I know, SBL is indeed rather old, and may not be maintained, so in order for someone to pick up maintenance, proper source code would need to exist somewhere.
~Kyle