Re: starting gnome

I put a question out on debian-user list so maybe we'll get some intelligent answers. Even without startx, once gnome is installed you can run gdm to get it started. Then perhaps control-alt-f1 and hit backspace. If you get a beep, you got a gnome terminal session running. Then run gnome-orca -t as root and see if you can get it set up. If you do manage that, you'll need to go into system->preferences->accessibility and check the box to enable assistive technologies then reboot the system.