Re: QUOTING!!!

The need for quoting is dependent on the recipient. It may not be necessary for
those with excellent memories. It may not be necessary for those who only ever
subscribe to a minimal number of related lists. For those forgetful and
confused people like myself, however, quoting is very helpful. There are those,
myself included, who regularly switch between a multitude of topics, and who
don't spend every waking moment rehearsing over and over in our minds what each
individual contributor to any of those topics has said. At least in my
particular case, you must also realize that my time and memory are further
occupied by my rather demanding occupation, as well as my private conversations
with my wife and our thirteen children. A short reminder, therefore, goes a
long way toward attracting our attention and to helping us give a timely and
meaningful response.

That being said, I do feel very strongly that those who do quote should take
the time to remove extraneous text from that which they do quote. Please do
quote enough text to help set the context and to help explain your response,
but, also, please do delete everything else. Creating the need for all others
to dig through your message with a fine-toothed comb in order to finally
discover what you yourself are contributing, or, more importantly, seeking help
for, is not only painful, but also an incentive for some of us to arbitrarily
dismiss the message as not being worth the time it takes to figure it out. As
rude as it may make me appear, I myself indeed have been known to do exactly
this when other matters in my life (both on and off list) have been more
pressing.

In short, be considerate for your readers' needs. Do quote enough to help us
know what you're referring to, but don't over-quote as that only over-burdens
us with irrelevance. Quoting is a tool which can be used both responsibly and
irresponsibly. Like everything else in life, the easiest root invariably leads
in the direction of irresponsible conduct. Please put in the time, even if it
seems excessive to you, to trim out everything that needn't be quoted.

EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com/                   | http://mielke.cc/bible/