BTV, the Braille/Text Viewer

Hi all, especially Braille display users:

Some time ago I offered for comment a program I dreamed up to practice
my bash coding and to fill what I see as a crying need for a good
display mechanism for Braille files and for keeping track of how far
I've read in print documentation as well. At the time the program was
called bb. I stressed that I had little confidence in the aesthetics of
my coding (though it did work) and asked if people could look at it and
tell me what they thought.

The response was thunderous silence. :-)

I'm now ready to try again. I have much more confidence in the beauty of
my code, have renamed the program to btv since there's already something
called bb (though I don't know what it is), and believe this is ready,
or nearly so, for prime time. I'd still like people to look at it but
believe it will perform adequately in just about all situations.

What it does is this:

1. Displays a file by page if there are formfeeds or by screen if there
aren't.

2. Translates Braille characters into 6-dot equivalents so the user
doesn't have to set 6-dot mode and zap the contraction table to read a
contracted Braille file. It doesn't do this for print files!

3. Keeps track of where you left off so you can start at that point the
next time you read the file.

4. Allows you to invoke less for searching and $EDITOR for changing the
file.

5. Contains a utility for repairing faulty DOS files (Captains
Courageous on Web-Braille is a case in point) whose end-of-page
sequences are faulty.

6. It has documentation.

I'm sure people interested in reading books online must have some system
for doing so, but I think you might enjoy this one as well. it's in a
10K .tgz file which you can unpack somewhere on the path (~/bin is a
good place) and you're all set.

Even if you don't see the need as I do, please let me know if you're
interested and I'll send it along. If it's half as good as I think it is
(which is probably about right), it'll come in handy.

Write me at leemer1@xxxxxxxxxx Thanks,

Lee