Re: upx of brltty

Hi:
On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:29:22PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> Upx compresses a brltty binary by just over 50%. This looks tempting for
> things like boot disks,
Maybe that was the meaning of Coscell's suggestion.

> but there's a very significant potential
> problem. Upx needs /proc, and /proc is usually not mounted until
> somewhat into the boot sequence.
Does /proc is already mounted for ex. during the Debian/RH/Mdk installation?

If upx files may cause problems in some cases, then I'm agree to say
that it's not a so good idea.

> With respect to brlstatx: Upx may not be a reasonable approach unless the
> brltty binaries it provides are only intended for use on an already booted
> system. If so, this restriction should be very clearly highlighted in the
> documentation.
The current brlstatx bins are simply used in the same normal way
as any personally compiled static brltty.
But it wouldn't be correct to say that such bins may only been used in a
started system:
if I provide tomorrow a new ZipSlack-based BrlZip, I will probably use
such static bins to drop them from DOS into a certain dir, and then
booting the distro (brlzip is an umsdos mini distro, and since Zipslack
9 i missed the make and gmake, etc, so a brlstatx bin is ok).

Osvaldo.